CityCLAC Logo

Thank you for contacting us to request legal advice. 


To request an appointment please fill in the relevant enquiry form listed below. 



If we think your enquiry is potentially within our remit we may contact you to request more details of your case to enable us to decide if we can offer you legal advice. 

We will usually reply to you with a list of organisations who may be able to help where we cannot. This is so you can look for advice elsewhere. Our remit is described in more detail on our website. 

We usually do this within 7 days of your enquiry during our stated opening times. Please bear in mind that we have a lot of clients approaching us and are not always able to reply to all of them. 

If you do not hear back from us then you will need to view our website where you can find other referral sources which may be of assistance. The link to the website is here:  These referral sources are also included below.

The Lawworks website provides a list of clinics who provide free legal advice. The website address is

Advicenow are a charity who provide free helpful guides on areas of social welfare law. Their website address is

You might be able to get free and confidential advice from Civil Legal Advice as part of legal aid if you are in England or Wales. If you're eligible, you can get help for problems including:

  • debt, if your home is at risk
  • housing, if you're homeless or at risk of being evicted
  • domestic abuse
  • separating from an abusive partner, when you're making arrangements for children or sorting out money and property
  • a child being taken into care
  • special education needs
  • discrimination
  • some child abduction cases

1.            To contact Civil Legal Advice telephone: 0345 345 4 345

Or Minicom: 0345 609 6677

Their helpline is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm and Saturday, 9am to 12:30pm

You can also text 'legalaid' and your name to 80010 to ask for a call back. This costs the same as a normal text message.

You can contact your local law centre here:

The Law Society has a website where you can search for a solicitor:
Search for firms using postcode and subject area.

Employment Issues
If you need help with employment law advice contact the ACAS Helpline on 0300 123 1100. The ACAS helpline is open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm. The advice you receive is free but you may be charged for the call depending on your phone provider and whether you use a mobile or a landline.

Employment Lawyers Association

Advice | Employment Lawyers Association (UK) (

Yesslaw (if you have an employment matter you wish to settle – this is a charity who operate fixed fees) Get in touch - Yesslaw

2.            Housing

If you need emergency or urgent help with housing please contact the Shelter helpline 0808 800 4444

The Shelter helpline Opening times are Monday to Friday, 8am - 8pm  and weekends and bank holidays 9am - 5pm.

Call the helpline if you:

  • are homeless
  • have nowhere to stay tonight
  • are worried about losing your home in the next two months
  • are at risk of harm or abuse

Shelter's website also has some other useful help if your case is not urgent

You can also contact your local law centre by searching their website

Or you can visit your local citizens advice service or telephone 03444 111 444

If you need support in a court hearing contact the organisation "support through court" via their website

Alternative welfare benefits (including PIP form filling) services

St Lukes cost of living clinic Advice and Support Clinics | St Luke's Parochial Trust (St Luke's Community Centre) (

Appointments for the Form-filling clinics can be booked through St Luke's reception (020 7549 8181,

Westway Trust Cost of Living Crisis Clinic - Westway Trust

Family issues

01689 820 272 to find a family specialist lawyer

Ministry of Justice Search

Rights of Women

Domestic Violence


0800 97002070

Text: NCDV to 60777



0808 2000 247


Association of Personal Injury Lawyers

I have been injured (

Consumer Rights helpline

Contact the consumer helpline - Citizens Advice

Leasehold issues
Leasehold Advisory Service  -
020 7832 2500


Immigration advice

Welfare Benefits
Turn 2 Us

0808 802 2000 (9am – 8pm Monday – Friday)

Welfare Benefits Advice – Mary Ward Legal Centre

Find out what welfare benefits you are entitled to, and where to get help if you have a problem with your claim | Advicelocal

IPR Advice – Islington People's Rights

Support through court

Provides support with going to court without a lawyer.

Tel: 020 7947 7701/03 to book an appointment

If you need urgent medical or psychological support:

·    Contact your GP to book an emergency appointment

·    Call the Samaritans on 116 123

·    Visit your nearest A&E: Find Accident and emergency services services - NHS (

·    If more immediate urgent care is required call an ambulance by dialling 999.

We hope you have a peaceful holiday season, and that you manage to get help with your legal problem.


Kind regards,

City Community Legal Advice Centre Team


See details of our service here:

City Community Legal Advice Centre • City, University of London


T: 020 7040 5414 or E: